Thursday, October 04, 2007

Chennai Metro Travelogue

Its always fun traveling in a public transport system of a metro city like Chennai and that too in train(Chennai MRTS) means lots are in offer for one every day.

Presently I stay in Chepauk and my office is at Taramani, next to TIDEL park. To reach my office I have couple of options, either by Bus through the Beach road or by the Chennai Metro which is officially called as MRTS(Metro Rapid Transport System). Anyone with stable mind would never think of traveling by Bus in Chennai at peak hours(8AM-10AM & 5PM-8PM). So for me the best way is to reach the office by train. The train takes me up to the front gate of my office. Thiruvanmiyur station where I have to get down is at the doorstep of my office, to be exactly its just right opposite on other side of my office entrance.

I get into the train at Chepauk which is located just opposite to Asia's longest beach Marina. So its completely action filled journey every morning I make. Lots of faces, lots of conversations, lots of stories and lot more...

MRTS runs the service completely over the raised structure which is famously dubbed as "Parakum Rail" or in english "Flying Train" among locals here. One interesting fact is that Chennai got this kind of service well before the Delhi Metro. But few things that made the distinction between two are the lack of automated system in Chennai MRTS. Almost all are manually handled and poor in keeping the stations neat.

Here are the few pictures I took,

A way which leads up to Chepauk MRTS railway station... this road is actually the connecting road for Bharathi Salai and Wallaja Salai...

Chepauk MRTS Railway Station

Chepauk MRTS Railway Station

A train just arriving...

Train in the direction I have to travel... but this train don't go up to my station...

Station master with the green and red flags...

A train arriving on the another platform....

A river crossing on the way to my station...

A view of residential area from the train...

Finally reached my destination.... This where I have to get down and cross over the road to reach my office...

A view of the station from my office corridor...

Another view of station from another corner of my office corridor...

A view of my office(TIDEL Park) from train...

A view of the IT Expressway Corridor from the foot over bridge which connects my office and the station...

No comments:

Post a Comment